Developing High Quality Databases Using Visual Studio 2019
- 2 days
- Obtain a SSDT overview.
- Learn to commit, pull, push workflow in Visual Studio.
- Learn to compare and synchronize schema changes.
- Learn Agile database techniques.
- Learn to create and use a project snapshot (.dacpac)
- Learn to compare and synchronize data changes
- Learn SQL Server unit testing principles.
- Learn to generate test data.
- Learn to use static cod analysis.
- Learn to build and release pipelines.
- Agile Database Development
- Agile database development overview
- Agility challenges and blockers
- SQL Server Data Tools overview
- Connected vs. disconnected development
- Imperative vs. declarative development
- Agile database techniques
- SQL Server Database Projects
- Creating a SQL Server database project
- Treating schema as source code
- Working with SQL Server Object Explorer
- Importing database schema
- Importing data-tier applications (.dacpac)
- Importing scripts
- Managing cross-database dependencies
- Referencing a database and .dacpac file
- Managing Schema Changes
- Introduction to Azure DevOps
- Azure Repos overview
- Using Git to manage schema changes
- Cloning, committing, pushing, and pulling
- Comparing schemas and sync’ing changes
- Comparing data and sync’ing changes
- Rolling back changes using Git
- Rolling back changes using project snapshots
- Assuring a High-Quality Design
- Database unit testing principles
- Levels of database unit testing
- SQL Server unit tests
- Database unit test designer
- T-SQL assertions vs. test conditions
- Using tSQLt for SQL Server unit testing
- Static code analysis
- Database refactoring tools
- Building and Deploying
- Building the database project
- Using pre-build and post-build events
- Including additional build scripts
- Using script build actions
- Using the Local DB isolated sandbox
- Deploying changes to SQL Server
- Creating and using publishing profiles
- Using pre and post deployment scripts
- Using SQL CMD variables within scripts
- Building/deploying composite projects
- Building/deploying SQL CLR objects
- Azure Pipelines overview
- Using an automated build pipeline
- Practicing Continuous Integration(CI)
- Using an automated release pipeline
- Running tests in the release pipeline
- Practicing Continuous Delivery(CD)
Each student will receive a comprehensive set of materials, including course notes and all the class examples.
Instructor-led courses are offered via a live Web connection, at client sites throughout Europe, and at our Geneva Training Center.